New Gun Bench

Discussion in 'Hacks & Projects' started by rbstern, Nov 16, 2018.

1. rbstern

rbstern Administrator Staff Member

I've carved out a small room in my basement for the gun hobby. My gun safe will be in there, along with a workstation for gun tools, cleaning supplies and such. Was trying to decide to build or buy a practical bench/tool chest for gun cleaning, some minor 'smithing and tool storage.

Ended up cobbling this together from two Husky chests I found at Home Depot, and a laminated pine benchtop I made from 2x4s (again, left over materials from the house build).

New gun bench 2.jpg

Had to make a few mods to be able to solidly connect the benchtop between the two cabinets, but it worked out well.

New gun bench 3.jpg

New gun bench.jpg

These cabinets are inexpensive ($129 as of this writing, saw that they've been on sale at $99). Nicely built with great features. Very decent hardware quality. They have soft padded worksurfaces, cubbies for small parts, a pegboard, a power strip with 2 USB ports, and a large port with a grommet for cable routing.

The benchtop was made by running the 2x4s thru my table saw to create flat surfaces for laminating. Simple glue up with Titebond and overnight clamping, followed by some Minwax dark walnut stain and then a handful of coats of Rustoleum clear poly.

Now, about moving that safe in there...

2. Ben

Ben Administrator Staff Member

Looks awesome! How’d you attach the bench to the cabinets?

3. rbstern

rbstern Administrator Staff Member

Pretty straightforward: Drilled four holes in each cabinet side, equally spaced front-to back. Attached the bench with four 3 1/2" deck screws on each side. Some unusual jigging and clamping to get everything lined up nice and firm before the screws went in, but it worked out.

Home Depot dropped the price on those cabinets to $99 for Black Friday. They refunded me the difference just by my showing them the receipt.