Dust Collector, As Vertical As Possible

Discussion in 'Hacks & Projects' started by rbstern, Oct 25, 2017.

1. rbstern

rbstern Administrator Staff Member

As I wrote in another thread, I'm building out a workshop for my wife's crafting business.

I've already done a bunch of electrical work. I've run 3 20-amp 120v lines. One will be for her laser cutting equipment. Another will support woodworking machines (band saw, drill press, miter saw, bench top and handheld sanders). The last one will be dedicated to a dust collector. I may convert that line to 240v, depending on the dust collection solution, but I'm pretty committed to using the HF 2HP unit, which is really closer to 1.5HP, and only needs a 120v/20amp circuit.

The space I'm working with is approximately 28x12. It's a single car garage, in a drive under garage configuration. The basement of the house will be the office, studio and workshop.

Approximate layout of the space will be:

garage buildout.png

A few changes since this diagram: The door on the left is currently a single car overhead garage door. We'll probably leave it, to facilitate getting larger equipment and supplies into the space. I've put in two 6' workbenches on the wall where "Sanding and Workbench" is labelled. The miter saw will reside between those two benches.

That last change means less space for the band saw, drill press, and dust collection equipment.

To save space, I'm going to try and build a dust collection system with about a 2'x2' footprint. It will likely be a HF 2HP dust collector, with a Thien baffle and a Wynn canister filter. These are pretty typical mods for HF dust collectors, but usually they take up about 2'x4' of space. with the filter and bag unit sitting next to a collection pail/baffle unit. I'm going to go vertical, and see if I can get this all into one stack.

Here's a pic of the "tool wall." Those shelves have been removed and the workbenches are in place.

IMG_20170818_184221.jpg

The dust collection requirement isn't dramatic. It will be a single, straight run along the wall with four, maybe five drops, each controlled by a blast gate.

One of the more ambitious undertakings will be a home-made, low voltage relay box, which will turn on the HF dust collector if any of the bast gates in the dust collection piping are opened.

I'll post updates as I make progress.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  2. rbstern

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  3. rbstern

Update: The workshop project is wrapping up. In the end, I didn't use the HF dust collector. Picked up a 2HP Grizzly locally on Craigslist, for what I would have spent on the Central Machinery version. Very similar machine, except the Grizzly has a bigger motor, a bigger impeller (more suckage) and is wired for 240v.

Seen here with my mods for two stage dust collection:

IMG_20180310_205750958.jpg

Five collection drops: One floor sweep and four for tools:

IMG_20180310_014636643.jpg

Blast gates were cut with our CO2 laser cutter. The gates are connected by microswitches to a Long Ranger 240v relay. Pulling a gate open turns on the dust collection.

IMG_20180310_094813745.jpg

And the mostly finished shop:
    IMG_20180310_173944201.jpg

Ben likes this.
  4. rbstern

A few HF tools and supplies used in this makeover:

23 gauge pin nailer (for blast gate assembly)
    clamps (new model Pittsburgh, see review in Tools section)
    Zip ties
    Screwdrivers
    Electrical tape
    Electrical connectors
    Titanium drill bit set (probably the single most used HF item in every serious project I do)

5. Okuma

Okuma Administrator Staff Member

Looks great man!

6. rbstern

Thank you. It's been a fun project.

7. Ben

Ben Administrator Staff Member

Dude, it looks awesome! I'm taking notes over here for my shop build one day.